A collection of resources from Higher and the National Association of Workforce Development Professionals (NAWDP) about the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) from a 12/16 webinar. You can also access a recording of this webinar at Higher’s webinar archive page.
- ORR State Letter 13-04: ORR Collaboration with the Department of Labor Click here
- ORR August 2014 Report: Models of Collaboration between Workforce Investment and Refugee Resettlement Stakeholders Click here
- Senior Community Service Employment Program (SC-SEP) Click here
- Finding a One Stop, Workforce Investment Board (WIB) or State WIB Click here
- Information on Apprenticeships
- Background and resources: Click here
- State and national apprenticeship offices: Click here
- Building Apprenticeship Toolkit: Click here
- Adult Education and Literacy Act WIA and WIOA Comparison Matrix Click here
- Summary of Major Policies Included in Title I of WIOA from a Disability Perspective Click here
Building Client Motivation through Job Readiness Activities. A PowerPoint presentation from Carrie Thiele with ECDC affiliate African Community Center, Denver (ACC-DEN). Delivered at a job readiness session at Higher’s 2 Day Refugee Employment Workshop in Baltimore, 11/10-11/2014.
PowerPoint slides with step by step instructions you’ll be able to follow even if you’re new to LinkedIn. Thanks to Bonni Cutler, Employment Program Manager, Catholic Charities Diocese of San Diego, CA, who put together this exclusive resource. CLICK HERE
Caritas of Austin, TX produced these great picture vocabulary guides for hotel housekeeping and entry level food services. They have been used with customized short term vocational training programs and target vocational ESL, employer relations and improved workplace communication. The files are large and may be difficult to reformat and print, so have been made available as separate downloads. They are laid out for a half-page format that can be printed on thick paper stock and laminated or bound into a simple double-sided booklet. There are many other language versions that we hope to make available soon. Thanks to Caritas of Austin for sharing this valuable resource.
Making it Real: Teaching Pre-literate Refugee Students is a great resource with everything you need to start or strengthen ESL classes for pre-literate refugees. Thanks to Tacoma Community House for sharing this great resource. Also check out their resource page for many more excellent language learning tools you can use.
CEI Sharia-Compliant Loan Product Examples, courtesy of Maine’s Coastal Enterprise Institute (CEI). Read more in Higher’s February 2014 newsletter.
The best Job Development resources we’ve found, from WorkingVentures Publications from Public/Private Ventures.
- Job Development Essentials: A Guide for Job Developers
- Working With Employers Facilitators Guide
- Working With Employers Workbook
Three samples we like from three employment programs to help you develop or update your own. Thanks to Volag USCRI, Lutheran Services Carolinas and Caritas of Austin, TX.